Mission San Bernardino Asistencia bell wall
Georeferenced
Current Georeference
Image Details
Source:
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection:
Works Progress Administration Collection
Date:
1939
Description:
View of San Bernardino Asistencia campanario, or bell wall, which was built in 1937. San Bernardino Asistencia was established in 1819, as a "sub-mission" to Mission San Gabriel Arca´ngel; the original Asistencia, or more correctly - Estancia functioned as an outpost to graze cattle. During the 1840s its buildings were used by Jose´ del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. After its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by Bishop Tenney in the 1850s and by Dr. Benjamin Barton in the 1860s. In 1925, the County of San Bernardino acquired the Mission property; all remaining historic materials were salvaged and construction of a new, six-room structure commenced in 1926. The restoration was completed in 1937 with this freestanding campanario, constructed even though none had existed previously. The rebuilt Mission was unveiled to the general public as "The Asistencia". In 1960, San Bernardino Asistencia was dedicated as California Historical Landmark #42. Today the facility operates as a branch of the San Bernardino County Museum. Photo dated: May 20, 1939.
Source:
Loading...
License:
All Rights Reserved
Rating:
No ratings yet
Georeference Details
By:
Josiah White
Date:
Jun 6, 2026
Total:
1 submission
Confidence:
High
Validations:
0
Actions
This image has been georeferenced. Login with OpenStreetMap to submit a correction.
Timeline
All georeferencing activity and comments for this image
Georeferenced by Josiah White Current
Jun 6, 2026 3:56 AM
34.048306, -117.216164
312°
High Confidence
0 validations